Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mothers are Important

This is what I wrote about this week for my weekly newspaper editorial. This message is so important---it should be posted in every paper and on every blog!!! Mothers are important!!!!!
This past Sunday was Mother’s Day and to all you mothers, I hope you had a wonderful day. Bringing children into this life is a great blessing. In this modern society, I believe that many young couples do not believe or understand that children are a blessing. They are afraid of how adding children to their union will affect themselves. If they are selfish, then the children will suffer. If they are willing to sacrifice something in their life for something better, then children become a welcomed blessing. What else is there to live for if we do not have people who are important to us in our life? Certainly, leisure and travel activities become boring after a while. You can travel around the world many times and still not have joy when returning home. Our employment can only give us so much satisfaction until even our work takes a back seat to our families.
I think most parents don’t realize the importance of their influence in their children’s lives. As one famous American poet, William Ross Wallace said so well, “The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world”. The hand that teaches their children right from wrong is the hand that influences children for good. The hand that shows kindness, discipline and courage is the hand that raises young children to be caring adults. It is an important calling. Children learn best from their mothers.
Realize the importance of raising children to be good productive citizens. Appreciate who you have given birth to in this life. Motherhood is a sacred calling. To have so much influence to do good over one person in a life is very powerful.
The words of Washington Irving, an early American writer, rings true: “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.”
We might repeat ourselves a million times and have many tasks at home to accomplish. Some of us might have many burdens to carry without the recognition we deserve, but the message does sink in eventually and our tasks become less burdensome as time progresses. Motherhood might be a difficult job but it is the best career you will ever have. We can help our children see their potential in life for one day they will rise up and call us a great blessing.

3 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

Absolutely mothers are the most important person in a child's life. I sooo believe this. I've seen first hand what the lack of "mothering" can have on how the moral outcome of children. I've seen in it my own (extended) family, and sometimes I'm spitting mad. Other times I realize that being only one woman I can't save the world. Last week I went through the temple with my oldest son and saw him receive his endowments. Next Friday my other son will be sealed with his beloved for all time and eternity. I may not be able to change the world, but I had influence over my little part of it. My mother’s day couldn’t have been better.

Relevant post. Good job.

Rebecca Irvine said...

Thanks for encouraging moms and helping us to see we do have an impact. Sometimes it is hard to see the forest for the trees.

If you have not yet done so, please answer 8 quick questions about author royalties. I would much appreciate your help!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/588XKGK

The Blessings of Family Life said...

Thanks for all of your words!!!