A few years ago I became very overwhelmed with the apathy of our Congress. We didn't seem to be getting anywhere in balancing the budget or keeping peace around the world. Both ideals we all believe in. Whenever I get angry and frustrated, I tend to take myself on a crusade. That crusade produced a letter to both my senators:
March 7th, 2011
Dear Mr. Senator:
I am writing in regards to the state of our United States of America and would like to explain how important it is in keeping our country’s sovereignty.
1. Quit sending money to foreign countries. It is noble to help others but we are in such dire needs in our own country, we need to keep our money here. The funds sent away only help our enemies and our country’s deficit is unbelievably large. No more money to the Palestinians, India or China.
2. Stop supporting Planned Parenthood. The federal money given to Planned Parenthood supports abortion nationwide. Why should we be paying for the murders of our children? It is not up to government to support such an act.
3. Drill our own oil. It is ridiculous that we should be paying $3 or $4 a gallon for gas from another country when we can save so much money and drill for oil within the boundaries of our own country and support ourselves not the illegal cartels of the world.
4. Reverse Obama Care. This ridiculous piece of legislature not only over regulates insurance and health care but does not satisfy the need for the care of the sick. We are losing our rights to make our own decision. Reverse this ridiculous law.
5. Do not erase the meaning of marriage between a man and a woman. Keeping our Constitution clear of the definition of marriage is important for our country. Everyone is free to live as they please. Don’t mess it up by defining marriage any other way but by the joining of man and woman. It’s not necessary for the Constitution to state this.
6. Do not support illegal immigration. My grandparents came to the U.S. back in 1910 and 1920’s. They followed all the rules and learned to speak English, pay their taxes and work hard. They became U.S. citizens and were honorable people. It can be done by anyone wanting to live in the United States. Any state, with immigration problems, need the support of their government not law suits against them for the same federal law they uphold!!!
Does Congress care about the welfare of its own people? NO: It does not seem so as it is now March and nothing positive has been done to help its citizens in the past two months we have had our new congress. The whole legislative branch of our government passes the blame back and forth and nothing gets done. Do something for this people!!!!! Stop the hypocrisy of our national leaders in destroying our economy!!!! Stop messing up our lives by taking our liberties away!!!!
I’m the mother of nine children and living on a budget is a way of life. If I did what you all have done to mess up our economy, I would be thrown in jail. I don’t care what secret societies of people are in charge, we are a people who are free because of our Constitution. Anyone else does not have the right to change it.
Stand up for our people!!! That is your job!!!!! Do what is best for U.S. citizens not foreign countries, dictatorships or secret societies.
Valerie J. Steimle-Foy
A few months later I received a letter from both senators, sympathizing with what I said in the letter to them. Maybe I stuck a chord and government will start to function properly. It's now over 3 years later and nothing seems to have changed. Same old, same old and I am continuing to write my senators in helping them become aware of how we feel. Check back in three years to see how it is going... I make no promises (like our government officials) but we shall see.