Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Christmas: It Shouldn't be a Love-Hate Relationship

Through our all my years of marriage, I have always had this love/hate relationship with Christmas.  I love Christmas because it is the celebration of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I hate Christmas because our culture is so commercialized, our ideas of what Christmas should be is so misconstrued. So there is this battle going on in my head keeping Christmas low key.

Harder said than done. Children have a hard time dealing with the lack of gifts.  I always wanted to give them more but could never afford it.  Just nice gifts that are a little more pricey.  It was always a scrimp and buy what you could to have gifts under the tree. The dollar stores were good for that.

But that's not what Christmas is all about!!  Christmas is about celebrating the life of the Savior. Service to others.

What I did do almost every year was bake cookies and other goodies and prepare plates for our neighbors. My children would take these plate full of goodies and secretly drop them off at each door step in our neighborhood.  It brought us great joy.  It also was fun for my children to ring the doorbell and run like crazy to hide and peek at the reaction to our neighbors opening door.  This was probably one of the highlights of their Christmas holiday.

I just need to get it in my head that the gift giving doesn't have to be big.  It does not have to be expensive. Our modern day culture's shopping habits have gotten so deranged. Not only do people give up Thanksgiving to wait for "Black Friday" but they sleep out in parking lots and store fronts just to buy stuff that doesn't really matter by the end of January.  It's incredible what is going on in our country.  How can we celebrate a holiday of gratitude if we are trying to be the first ones in the store to buy stuff?  We can't.  The one track mind of a wolf seeking its prey is one who cares only about what they can get out of life, not give.

For my blog this year I want to post each December day of how we can keep the "Reason for the Season" and motivate myself and others to remember to be kind at the check out stand. Be considerate of others while shopping and help others in need.

No comments: