Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Adventures in Spanish.....

As a substitute teacher, I find myself in different classes and different grades in different schools.  From special needs to Geometry, going to work is an adventure.  One of the most interesting is the Spanish class I've been subbing.  I know so little about Spanish (I took French in school) that I'm not much help.  I am still the teacher and I still lead the class in their work each time I'm there but I don't know if the students are saying their words correctly. They have to depend upon each other.

Some of the students are from immigrant families and don't know any English at all.  Then there are those students who grew up in a Spanish speaking home but also know English. They really  help me when I have to figure out a way to tell those non-English speaking students what the assignments are for the day. As strange as it sounded to me, I had to ask one student to tell the other students what page we were on in their textbook.

What a strange world we live in but it is a most interesting one. As I make my way around the county teaching different classes, I  hope I can make a different in these students' lives.  I often ask them to tell me one good thing they did over the weekend or one good thing about themselves so they will remember what is important. Thanksgiving is just around the corner.....
"When we are grateful to God in our circumstances, we can experience gentle peace in the midst of tribulation. In grief, we can still lift up our hearts in praise. In pain, we can glory in Christ’s Atonement. In the cold of bitter sorrow, we can experience the closeness and warmth of heaven’s embrace."
—Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Grateful in Any Circumstances"

Remember to say thank you often and think of good things to do in your life and think of good things about yourself and your family.  Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: