Thursday, March 17, 2011

Finding Family History in Cousins

        I have had an exciting week.  I have been communicating with some cousins that found me online.  Cousins I didn't even know I had.
This picture is the culmination of a large group of Basheins that immigrated to the United States in early 20th century from Russia.  This photo commemorated my Great-Grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary. They are seated in the middle of the second row with their youngest (Hyman) between them.  It was a year before my father was born and he is 85 years old.

Come to find out there are two other branches that are alive and well of the Bashein clan and we are exchanging photos and stories we heard as children.  It is so interesting.  The last living person from this photo is the first little girl on the right, in the front row. Helen Schechter born in December 23, 1914.  I'm told she is almost completely blind but she is still active and remembers family members from this photo. She married Harry Gurdus and had children.  Not sure how many but her son, Mitchell keeps us informed.

I am so very blessed to have such a wonderful family.  The pictures keep rolling in and we are growing in numbers in our online google group.

No comments: